This Chocolate Cupcake recipe is unbelievably moist and decadent. The cupcakes are frosted with velvety chocolate buttercream. Also, check out how to make some cute Easter-themed cupcake toppers. These will be an amazing addition to your desserts and sweet treats!
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- 1½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup White Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs (large)
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- Mix the lemon juice or vinegar with the room-temperature milk and set aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the milk should be lumpy. This is an instant way to make the perfect substitute for buttermilk.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the sugar, eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In a larger mixing bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well-shape in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Combine the two lightly, scraping down the sides and the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 liners and fill each ⅔ of the way full with the cupcake batter.
- Bake in a 325F/160C oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cupcake.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tray for 5 minutes and then remove them from the tray and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
Chocolate Buttercream Ingredients
- 1 cup/ 2 sticks Butter
- 5 cups Icing Sugar/Confectioner’s Sugar
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ – 1 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Buttercream Method
- In a larger bowl add the room temperature butter and using a hand mixer (you can use a stand mixer as well) beat on high speed for about 5 minutes until the butter is soft, has almost doubled in volume, and has turned a light pale-yellow colour.
- Shift the icing/confectioner’s sugar and add the sugar in thirds, beating in-between until completely incorporated. With the last addition of the icing sugar, add in the cocoa powder.
- The buttercream will be very thick, turn the mixer on low speed and add the vanilla extract and then the milk, 1/4 cup at a time. If needed, you can add more than half a cup too until you reach the required consistency.
- Keep beating the buttercream for another 2 minutes till light and fluffy.
- Pipe onto your cooled cupcakes.