You are in for a treat with this classic Chicken Parmesan recipe which is always a crowd pleaser! These parmesan-crusted chicken breasts are topped with homemade marinara sauce and tons of cheese! Chicken Parmesan is as good as it gets for comfort food!
Ingredients – serves 6
For Chicken Parmesan
- 3 large (850 grams) Chicken Breаsts
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 large Eggs, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs, seasoned
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (½ cup for coating, ½ cup for topping)
- Oil, for frying
- 250 grams Mozzarella Cheese, fresh/grated
- 3 tsp Basil Leaves, finely diced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
For Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ (1 cup) Medium Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1 can (796 ml) Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Basil
- ½ tbsp Parsley, finely cut
For the Spaghetti
- 1 box (410 grams) Spaghetti
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
For the Chicken Parmesan
- Cut off the tenders, wash and pat dry the chicken breast. You can either butterfly the breast or slice each breast into two horizontally.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper
- Create a workstation, in the first bowl put all-purpose flour. In the second bowl, crack the eggs and add water, beat them up together to create an egg wash to coat the chicken. In the third bowl, add seasoned breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese and give them a mix till well combined.
- Now take one chicken cutlet and place it in the first bowl and coat it on both sides with all-purpose flour. Next dunk the coated cutlet into the egg wash, lift it up drain off the excess egg wash, and finally toss it into the bread crumbs, giving it a light press to make sure that the chicken is well coated with the bread crumbs all around.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side till the chicken has cooked and the outer coating has turned golden and crispy. Take the chicken out of the pan and place it on a baking sheet.
- Now top with the marinara sauce, a slice of mozzarella cheese, and grated parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler till the cheese has melted.
- To serve, place a bed of cooked spaghetti mixed with the delicious marinara sauce on a plate, then place the parmesan chicken on top of it, and sprinkle on finely chopped fresh basil.
For the Sauce
- To a heated saucepan on medium heat, add the olive oil and toss in the finely diced garlic. Sauté until the garlic has got a pine nut colour. This should take about 2-3 minutes
- Now add the diced onion and continue sautéing till the onions turn translucent, that should take another two to three minutes.
- Now pour in the crushed tomatoes and season with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Allow it to come to a boil and then lower the heat, partially close the pot with a lid, and allow the sauce to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Finally, garnish with some finely chopped basil and parsley, and take the sauce off the heat.
For the Spaghetti
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Season with salt and olive oil.
- Place the raw spaghetti in boiling water and cook as per the instructions on the box.
- Drain out the water and drizzle on some more olive oil. Toss the spaghetti around in the pot so that the oil gets well distributed on the spaghetti. This will prevent the spaghetti from sticking to each other.