This soft, moist and delicious Classic Vanilla Cake recipe is super easy to make and great for any occasion. It makes the best birthday cake, and I’m making this for my kids’ birthday this weekend. I am sure you all are going to love this classic recipe!
Vanilla Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups (245 grams) Cake Flour
- 1 ¼ cup (245 grams) White Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) Unsalted Butter
- ¾ tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Whole Milk
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) Vegetable Oil
- 2 large Eggs
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 1½ cup (340 grams) Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 4 ½ – 5 cups (560 grams – 625 grams) Confectioners’ Sugar/Icing Sugar (sifted)
- ¼ tsp Fine Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Cream/Milk (as required)
Vanilla Cake Method
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 330F or 165C.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, add the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a paddle attachment, stir all the ingredients together till well combined.
- With the mixer on speed 2, (if you are using a hand mixer, keep the mixer on low) add the butter in cubes and allow the butter to coat the flour before adding the next cube. Continue till all the butter is added in.
- To the milk add the oil and vanilla extract and give it a whisk to combine.
- On stir, stream the milk mixture into the flour mixture.
- Once all the milk mixture has been added to the flour mixture, crank up the speed of the mixer to 6 and continue to mix the batter for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the batter has turned light and pale and increased in volume, stop and scrape down the bowl of the mixer.
- Lower the speed of the mixer to speed 2 and add the eggs one at a time mixing till just incorporated.
- Scrape down the bowl of the mixer once again before giving it a final mix just for a couple of seconds.
- Divide the batter into two 8-inch greased and lined cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes (I baked mine for 33 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Buttercream Frosting Method
- To a bowl, add the butter and on high speed beat the butter for about 5 minutes till it turns light and fluffy (doubles in volume).
- To that, add the sifted icing sugar a cup at a time and beat for approximately a minute at a time, first on a slow speed. Once the icing sugar has just got incorporated with the butter, increase the speed of the mixer and continue mixing.
- Add the salt and continue the process of adding the icing sugar till all the icing sugar has been added.
- Scrape down the bowl, add the vanilla extract and milk (a teaspoon at a time, if required) and beat till all is well incorporated.
- Now with a rubber spatula gently fold the buttercream frosting to remove any air bubbles that may have been created while mixing with the mixer.