Today we are going to be making the best Scalloped Potatoes you have ever tasted! They are creamy, cheesy and, oh-so delicious. You are surely going to want to have these Scalloped Potatoes as a side this Thanksgiving!
- 5-6 (1kg) Potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45g) Butter, unsalted
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- ¾ cup (94 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 3¼ cups (500 ml) Milk
- 1 cups (500) Heavy Cream
- ½ tsp Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 cups (470 grams) Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chives, finely diced
- In a heavy bottom pot on medium heat melt the butter, then add the finely chopped garlic and sauté for a minute or so.
- Once the butter has been infused with the flavour of the garlic, toss in the all-purpose flour. While whisking constantly, allow the flour to cook till it absorbs the flavour of the garlic butter and gets a nutty flavour.
- Now pour in one cup of milk and whisk vigorously. Once you get a smooth mixture, pour the remaining milk and heavy cream and continue whisking till the bechamel sauce thickens.
- Lower the heat and season with salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Switch off the heat and add one cup of grated cheddar cheese and some of the cut chives. Give it a good whisk till the cheese has melted.
- Take it off the heat and allow it to cool while you prep the potatoes.
- Peel, wash and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- In a 9”x13” inch baking dish, put a thin layer of the bechamel sauce at the bottom, now put a layer of sliced potatoes on the top. Try to overlap the potatoes while layering.
- Now pour another layer of bechamel sauce and sprinkle on some grated cheddar cheese.
- Keep repeating the process till you have layered all the potatoes.
- To top it, put just a little bechamel sauce and sprinkle the remaining cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, place in the preheated oven, and allow the potatoes to bake for about 30-40 minutes.
- Now take off the foil and allow the potatoes to continue baking for another 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes have turned crispy and golden on the top.
- Before serving, allow the scalloped potatoes to cool just a little before sprinkling on the remaining cut chives.