These crispy, crunchy Rose Cookies are an absolute delight! These are also called Lotus Blossom Cookies and Acchu Murukku around the world. If you are looking for a recipe that will leave your family and friends in awe, this Rose Cookies recipe is the one!
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (45 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 3¾ cup (400 grams) Rice Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 5 Eggs, large
- 1 cup (200 grams) White Granulated Sugar
- 1 can (400ml) Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Water
- 1tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Sesame Seeds, lightly roasted
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- In a narrow base tall bowl, toss in the all-purpose flour, rice flour, and salt. Give it a quick mix to blend the ingredients. Keep it aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, crack the eggs and add the sugar. Give it a whisk till the eggs have broken up.
- To that, add the coconut milk, water, and pure vanilla extract. Give it a good whisk till the sugar has dissolved.
- Now grab the dry ingredients and make a well in the center of it. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk the two together till you get a smooth homogeneous mixture.
- In a wide base pot, pour in vegetable oil up to ⅓ the height of the pot. Place the rose cookie form into the oil and switch the stove on to high. After a while, insert a bamboo skewer into the hot oil and when bubbles come rushing to the surface you know the oil is hot and ready to fry the rose cookies. Now, lower the heat to medium.
- Take the rose cookie form out of the hot oil and dab it on a kitchen paper towel then put it into the batter until it reaches just shy of the top of the form. Turn the form around a bit to prevent it from dripping and then quickly immerse it into the hot oil. Keep the form just under the surface of the oil making sure not to touch the base of the pot.
- After about a second, jiggle the form in the hot oil to release the rose cookie. Allow it to fry in the oil till it gets light golden on one side, then flip it over and allow it to get light golden on the other side.
- Now lift it up from the oil, drain off the excess oil and place it on a small bowl or any small dome-shaped item face-side down. Gently press it down to get a curve shape and you have a perfectly formed flower.
- You could also keep the rose cookies flat by skipping the above step.
- For added flavour, add lightly roasted/black roasted sesame seeds to the batter and follow the same process for frying.