These flaky Vegetable Puff Patties are an easy and delicious snack! Stuffed with a wholesome vegetable filling and wrapped in crispy puff pastry, these Vegetable Puff Patties are the perfect prep-ahead recipe. The filling is also very adaptable to the flavours you enjoy the most!
Ingredients – Makes 8
For the Outer Covering
- 1 Box (2 sheets) Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Heavy Cream/Milk/Water
For the Filling
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Green Chili, finely diced
- 1 Medium (1cup/120 grams) Red Onion, diced
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Tumeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables, frozen
- 1 (1 cup/160 grams) Potato, finely diced and boiled
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- To a heated skillet on medium heat add oil. Once the oil has heated toss in the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds begin to splutter add the green chilies and garlic. Sauté just for a second before adding the finely chopped onions. Sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Turn the heat to low and add the Kashmiri chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, and white pepper powder. Sauté just for a minute.
- Toss in the mixed vegetables, boiled potato, lemon juice, salt, and sugar. Give it all a good mix and allow it to cook for just about a minute before taking it off the heat.
- Now add finely chopped cilantro. Give it a good mix, and transfer it into a bowl so that it cools faster. It’s important to allow the filling to cool completely before filling the puff pastry and making the patties.
- Preheat the oven to 425F/220C.
- Take one sheet of the puff pastry and cut it into four square pieces.
- Now take one or two spoons full of the filling and place it in a triangular shape on one side of the cut puff pastry. Leave about half an inch at the edge to seal the puff patty.
- Brush the egg wash all along the edge of the cut puff pastry. Take the corner of the puff patty opposite the flat edge of the filling you placed and cover it over the filling to meet the opposite corner. Now you should have a perfect triangle. Gently press down the two sides. Using a fork press down the sides to secure them. Repeat the process with the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Gently brush the egg wash over the filled vegetable puff patties, making sure to evenly coat the puff patties with it. For better results, once you have brushed all the puff patties with the egg wash and they have dried a little, give them a second coat.
- Use a fork and press holes on the top of the puff patties to vent them.
- Place the puff patties in the oven and allow them to bake at 425F/220C for 15 minutes, then lower the heat of the oven to 350F/180C and continue baking for another 15 minutes. The puff patties are now ready and should have turned a lovely golden colour.
- Take them out of the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool just a little before enjoying them with ketchup.