If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal, this Meatball Curry recipe is just the one for you! The meatballs are covered in a creamy delicately spiced coconut curry that forms the ultimate comfort food.
For the Meatballs/Koftas:
- 500 grams Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ⅛ (30 grams) Red Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (8-9 grams) Coriander/Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Green Chili, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs
For the Curry:
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Cardamoms
- 2” Cinnamon Stick
- 1 cup (120 grams) Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- ½ tbsp Ginger paste
- 3 tbsp Tomato Puree/1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1½ cup Water
- 1 cup Coconut Milk, thick
- 1½ tsp Sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Green Chillies, slit
- ½ cup Coriander/Cilantro, finely chopped
- In a bowl add all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix them well till they get well combined.
- Grab a small portion of the mix at a time and roll between the palm of your hands into a 1½” diameter ball while applying a little pressure. Place the formed meatball in a flat dish and continue the process till all the meat mixture has been formed into meatballs.
- Cover the dish with a plastic wrap and place the dish in the refrigerator.
- Now, in a heavy bottom pot, heat the oil and toss in the curry leaves, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Roast them for about a minute or two till the spices flavour the oil.
- Add the finely chopped onions and sauté till the onions turn golden.
- Now add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté on low heat for approximately 2 mins or until they lose their raw flavour.
- Add the tomato puree or finely chopped tomato and continue sautéing till the oil separates from the mixture
- Toss in the Kashmiri chilli, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder and continue to sauté for a minute or two.
- Now add the water and coconut milk and mix well.
- Season with sugar and salt, give it a mix and allow it to come to a simmer on a medium heat.
- Once the curry begins to simmer, it’s time to add in the garam masala powder and slit green chillies. Give it a mix and allow it to simmer for about two to three minutes.
- It’s time to gently place in the meatballs. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Now take off the lid and hold the pot by the handles on both sides and gently swirl the pot around so that the meatballs get a chance to turn around and get well coated with the curry.
- Cover once again and continue to cook on low heat for another 15-20 mins or until the meatballs are fully cooked.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with finely chopped coriander/cilantro and give it a final swirl.