This traditional Goan Sorpotel packs a punch and is the perfect dish for special occasions! Small pieces of flavorful pork and liver are simmered in a luscious gravy and is best enjoyed a few days after preparing. This Goan Sorpotel is a must-try!
- 1 kg Pork Belly
- 350 grams Pork Liver
- 3½ cups Water
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Salt
For The Spice Paste
- 15 Kashmiri Chillies (Deseed 7 Chillies)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 10 Cloves
- ⅛ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 (1”) Cinnamon Stick
- 7-8 Garlic Cloves
- 1” Ginger Piece
- ¾ cup Red Wine Vinegar
For The Cooking Process
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil (for frying the meat cubes)
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil (for frying the onions)
- 2 (3 cups) Red Onions, large, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 slit Green Chillies
- 2½ tbsp Sugar
- Cut the pork into strips or chunks. Wash and place it in a heavy bottom pot along with the pork liver. Add water, salt and turmeric powder to the pork.
- On a medium heat allow the water to simmer, cover the pot with a lid and cook the pork for 20 minutes till it gets parboiled.
- Now, remove the pork from the stock and place it in a separate bowl and allow it to cool.
- Strain the stock into another bowl and leave it aside for later.
- In the bowl of the mixer add all the ingredients for the spice paste and grind into a fine mixture.
- Once the pork and the liver have cooled, cut them into small cubes.
- In a heavy bottom pot add oil and fry the cut pork meat and liver in 3 batches. Fry each batch for about 2-3 minutes or until it gets a little colour. Remove the fried pork and liver with a slotted spoon and keep aside while you fry the remaining.
- In the same pot add the finely chopped onions and sauté till the onions get caramelized and the oil begins to separate.
- Toss in the ground spice paste and sauté it with the onions. Add a little water in the mixer jar and the bowl of the spice paste, swirl it around to pick up all the spice paste. Add it to the pot. Fry the spice mix with the onions for about a minute or two.
- Now add the fried pork meat and liver and sauté till the spice paste has covered every piece of the pork.
- Pour in the stock and give it a stir.
- Season the gravy with salt and the green chillies.
- Once it begins to simmer add the sugar and give the Sorpotel a quick mix.
- Allow the Sorpotel to cook open on a medium low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Give it a taste and add salt, sugar and vinegar as needed.
- Now place the lid on the pot and allow it to simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes before taking it off the heat.
- Remove the lid and give it a stir.
- Allow it to cool with the lid off for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with warm sannas, rice, arroz pulao or sweet bread
Tip: Sorpotel is best prepared 3-4 days in advance and warmed each day before serving.