Let’s make an easy wholesome meal, Goan Green Chicken Curry! The chicken is simmered in a green curry filled with the flavours of coriander, coconut, lemon and green chilies. I’m sure you are going to love this one!
For the Chicken
- 1 kg Chicken
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1½ tsp Ginger paste
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
For Green Curry Paste
- ½ tsp (40) Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 8 Cloves
- 3” Stick of Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¾ Bunch (1½ cups) (60 Grams) Fresh Coriander, with the stocks
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1” Ginger
- 4-5 Green Chilies
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- ¼ cup Water
For Cooking the Curry
- 3-4 tbsp Oil
- 1 Medium (1 cup) Onion, finely chopped
- ½ Medium (½ cup) Tomato, skinned and finely chopped
- 1 Chicken Bullion
- ½ cup Hot Water
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1½ cup Coconut Cream
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Cut a few slits on each chicken piece to help the marinade flavour the chicken and also for the chicken to cook evenly.
- Marinade the chicken with salt, lemon juice, ginger and garlic paste. Cover and keep the chicken aside.
- In the jar of the blender, add the peppercorns, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, poppy seeds and turmeric powder. Dry grind till you get a fine curry powder.
- To the curry powder, add the fresh coriander, garlic cloves, ginger, chopped green chillies, vinegar and add the water to help it grind into a fine curry paste
- To a heated pot, add the oil and toss in the onions, sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- To that, add the tomatoes and continue to sauté till the tomatoes get cooked and become soft.
- Now it’s time to add the marinated chicken and give it a stir so that the chicken gets coated with the onions and tomatoes. Sauté the chicken for a minute or two.
- In a small bowl, add half cup of hot water and the chicken bullion. Stir them together so the bullion dissolves in the water. Now add it to the pot and give the chicken a stir. Cover with a lid and allow the chicken to cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Now that the chicken is half cooked, remove the lid and add the curry paste. Give it a stir and make sure the curry paste blends well with the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to cook open for another 5 minutes before adding the coconut milk and sugar.
- Cover and continue cooking till the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165F and the chicken has cooked.
- Enjoy it with steaming hot rice or warm bread.