Today we are going to be making these soft and chewy Jujubes/Gumdrops, with simple ingredients, which are so easy to make at home! These Jujubes/Gumdrops make a wonderful homemade gift to share with someone for Christmas!
- 1¼ cups (300ml) Water
- 3¼ tbsp (30 grams) Gelatin, unflavoured
- 2½ cups Sugar, white granulated
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Fruit Extracts
- Food Colouring
- In a bowl, add half cup of water and the gelatine. Give it a stir and leave it aside for the gelatine to bloom.
- To prep the molds, brush a little oil on them.
- Now, in a heavy bottom pot, add three fourth cups of water and two cups of sugar. Give it a stir and on a high heat allow the sugar to melt. Once all the sugar has melted and you have a clear sugar syrup, add the lemon juice and give it a stir.
- Lower the heat to low, and allow to sugar syrup to simmer for 5 minutes. You will find that as time passes the sugar syrup thickens.
- It’s time to add the bloomed gelatin. Keep stirring till the gelatine has melted and blended with the sugar syrup, take it off the heat and pour it into bowls, dividing equally depending on the number of flavours you want to prepare. We are making 4 flavours (Peach, Lemon, Green Apple, and Raspberry), so we will pour equal amounts into 4 bowls.
- To each bowl, add half teaspoon of one of the flavours and half to one drop of food colouring to match the flavour. Give the mixtures a stir till the flavour and colour has blended well with it.
- Pour each mixture into a measuring cup with a spout and start filling the prepared molds. Once you have finished filling all the mixture, cover the molds with a lid or lightly oiled plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours until set.
- In a shallow bowl, add half cup of sugar and start unmoulding the jujubes and coating with the sugar. Place the coated jujubes on a wire rack and allow them to dry for 24 hours. This will help the sugar to dry on the jujubes.
- For presentation, you can either put them in a bottle or plastic bag and decorate accordingly. Enjoy!