You will definitely want to try this Flan, which is a creamy custard steamed with a rich caramel! This is a dessert that will leave your family and friends coming back for more. If you want to impress this Thanksgiving, this Flan has got to be on your dessert table!
For the Caramel
- ¼ cup (60g) White Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp (5ml) Water
- 2 drops of Lemon Juice
For the Custard
- 10 Eggs (large, only yolks)
- 1 can (300ml) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can (354 ml) Evaporated Milk
- ½ tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- To a pan add the sugar, water, and lemon juice. Over medium-low heat allow the sugar to melt, turn into an amber colour, and caramelize.
- Transfer the caramelized sugar into a 6-inch round cake pan. While swirling the cake pan, coat the bottom of the pan with the caramelized sugar. Keep the pan aside for the caramel to cool and set.
- To make the custard, separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and add the egg yolks to a bowl. Gently whisk the egg yolks to break them up. Be careful not to incorporate any air into the mixture.
- Now add the condensed milk, evaporated milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract and salt and once again give the mixture a gentle whisk.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve at least three times so that you get a smooth mixture without any air in it.
- Gently pour the mixture through a sieve into the prepared cake pan with the caramel base.
- Cover the cake pan with aluminum foil and keep it aside.
- In a steamer, bring water to a boil on high heat then lower the heat to low and place the covered cake pan with the flan in the steamer. Cover the steamer and steam the flan for about 60 minutes or until it has set.
- Remove the flan from the steamer, take off the aluminum foil and allow it to cool completely before covering it up once again with the aluminum foil and placing it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Once chilled, cut the flan into desired pieces and enjoy!