The method of preparing this Fruit Cake Recipe has a little bit of a twist that makes it so easy! This Fruit Cake is loaded with so much of goodness, you won’t even miss the alcohol.
- 700 grams Mixed Dried Fruits
- 100 grams Sultanas
- 50 grams dried Cranberries
- 50 grams Candied Ginger
- 100 grams Dates
- 50 grams Prunes
- 50 grams dried Apricots
- 100 grams Glace Cherries
- 100 grams Green Cherries
- 100 grams Walnuts
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup (170 grams) Dark Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1 Lemon, Zest
- 1 Orange, Zest and Juice (¼ cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) Water
- 1½ cups + 2 tbsp (218g) All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup (50 grams) Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a heavy bottom pot, add the butter, dark brown sugar, sultanas, dried cranberries, candied ginger, lemon zest, orange zest, orange juice and water.
- Over a medium heat, allow the butter to melt and the fruits to plump up. Once the liquid comes to a gentle bubble, allow it to simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Take it off the heat and leave it aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add the all purpose flour, almond flour, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt and give it a quick mix. Now keep the dry ingredients aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla essence.
- Line either a 7” or 8” cake tray.
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C
- Once the fruit mixture has cooled, add all the remaining chopped dried fruits and walnuts and give a quick mix till you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Now add in the beaten eggs and stir till all gets well blended.
- It’s time to add the dry ingredients to the wet. Do this in three batches folding the dry into the wet between each addition. Once the batter has been well mixed and you do not see any dry flour, spoon it into the prepared cake tray.
- Place the filled cake pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour then reduce the heat to 275F or 140C and bake for an additional one to one and a half hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place the baked cake on a wire rack to cool for about an hour before unmolding it and leaving it to cool completely.