This Sheer Khurma recipe is a rich, decadent, traditional dessert made during the festive occasion of Eid! Packed with nuts and dried fruits, Sheer Khurma is a delicious thick sweetened milk dessert. I am sure this recipe will be love at first spoonful!
- 1 cup (40 grams) Vermicelli
- 3 tbsp (37.5 grams) Pistachios, skinned and slivered
- 2 tbsp (25 grams) Cashew Nuts, slivered
- 2 tbsp (25 grams) Almonds, skinned and slivered
- 2 tbsp (25 grams) Chironji, skinned
- 2 tbsp (35 grams) Dry Dates, slivered
- 2 tbsp (25 grams) Golden Raisins
- 6 Green Cardamom, crushed
- 1 pinch Saffron Strands
- 6 cups (1½ L) Milk, full fat
- 1 tbsp Pure Ghee (Desi Ghee)
- 1 cup (250 ml) Condensed Milk
- Soak the nuts, dry dates, and chironji in warm water for about 2-3 hours. Remove the skin of the nuts and cut the nuts and dates into slivers.
- Crush the vermicelli in the sealed packet and then measure out one cup.
- Crush the cardamom seeds into a fine powder. You can also go in with cardamom powder and skip this step.
- Add the milk to a heavy bottom pot. Toss in the crushed cardamoms and saffron strands. Allow the milk to come to a boil on medium heat. Keep stirring it occasionally to prevent the milk from burning at the bottom of the pot.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, lower the heat to simmer.
- Place a skillet on another burner, turn the heat on to medium, and add the pure ghee. Toss in the slivered almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, dry dates, and chironji. Roast till it all turns fragrant.
- Move the roasted dry fruits to the edge of the skillet and add the broken vermicelli in the center of the skillet. Mix the vermicelli with the dry fruits and roast till it gains a little colour. Now pop in the raisins and roast for just 30 seconds.
- Add the roasted nuts, dried fruits, and vermicelli to the hot milk and allow it to cook for about 2-3 minutes before adding the condensed milk. Continue cooking the Sheer Khurma for about 10 minutes till the milk thickens a little and the vermicelli gets plump.
- Sheer Kurma can be enjoyed either warm or cold.