Today let’s make this pillowy, buttery bread like you’ve never tasted before! This quick dinner rolls recipe is perfect for any meal or simply enjoyed with butter and jam. Once you’ve tasted these dinner rolls, you’ll never want to eat store-bought bread again!
To activate the yeast
- 1 cup (240 ml) Warm Milk
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp (7 grams) Active Dry Yeast
To make the dough
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) & ½ tsp (2.5 grams) Unsalted Butter ( ½ cup melted and 1 tsp solid)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups (437 grams) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
To make the egg wash
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- To activate the yeast, warm the milk in the microwave in a medium-size bowl for 40-45 seconds.
- To the warm milk, whisk in the sugar and then add the yeast and whisk it in well. Cover and keep it in a warm place to activate. You know the yeast is activated when it develops a frothy surface (this should take approximately 10 minutes)
- To the activated yeast add the remaining sugar, cooled melted butter and the beaten egg. Give it a good whisk to make sure that it all blends well.
- In another large mixing bowl, or to the bowl of your stand mixer, add the all-purpose flour and salt. Give it a light whisk using the paddle attachment.
- Next, add in the liquid mixture and bring the dough together.
- Now change to the dough hook and keep kneading on speed 4 of the stand mixer for 10 minutes. If you are doing it by hand, knead for 15 minutes.
- Lastly, add 1/2 tsp butter and knead for just 2 minutes more.
- Brush a large bowl with some oil and after forming a nice ball of the dough place it in the bowl. Lightly brush some oil on the surface of the dough too. Cover with plastic wrap and place the bowl in the oven just with the light on for one hour for the dough to proof.
- After 1 hour, when the dough has doubled, knock it down to release the gas.
- Now flip the dough onto a work surface and divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- To form the dinner rolls, take one portion and bring the edge of the dough to the center to form a small ball. Give it a light twist at the back so as to seal it. Using the palm of one hand and the thumb and center finger of the other hand, cup the ball of dough and keep rolling it to form a perfect ball.
- Grease a 9” X 13” baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Place the dinner rolls in the pan 3X4. Brush some oil on a plastic wrap and cover the formed dinner rolls with the oiled side down. Place the covered baking tray back in the oven for an additional 30 minutes to proof for a second time.
- Prepare an egg wash by beating the egg and incorporating the milk with it.
- Using a pastry brush, gently brush the dinner rolls with the egg wash and place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 375F for 20 minutes.
- When done, for a lovely shine, gently brush the hot dinner rolls with some melted butter. Toss on some small bits of butter between the loaves for an added delicious flavour.