This silky smooth Chicken Liver Pate is the perfect appetizer to kick off the new year! Made with simple ingredients and steps, this Chicken Liver Pate will impress with ease.
- 250 grams Chicken Livers, well-trimmed
- 2 Shallots or ½ Onion, sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, medium, coarsely chopped
- 160 grams Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 – 5 sprigs of Thyme
- 1 tbsp Cognac (Brandy)
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Toasted Buttered Baguette slices, for serving
- Trim all the excess white membrane from the chicken livers
- Slice the shallots and coarsely chop the garlic cloves
- Add 50 grams of butter to a heated skillet and add in the oil to prevent the butter from burning. Once the butter has melted, toss in the sliced shallots and sauté for a minute till they begin to turn translucent. Now throw in the chopped garlic and continue to sauté until it loses its raw flavour.
- Add the chicken liver to the pan and season it with salt. Add the bay leave and thyme leaves and give them a mix. Sauté it for about 4-5 minutes and allow it to cook.
- It’s time to add the cognac and freshly ground black pepper. Stir it up and continue cooking it for another 4 minutes or so.
- As soon as it is cooked, remove the bay leave and transfer the chicken livers into a bowl to cool. This will prevent it from overcooking in the hot skillet.
- Now transfer it into a blender and blend into a smooth paste while gradually adding 100 grams of butter.
- Once it is smooth, transfer it into a jar or any container you like and top it with 10 grams of melted butter and a little sprinkle of thyme leaves.
- Cover the Pâté and refrigerate for 1-2 hours so that the flavours develop and the Pâté gets a chance to set.
- Serve on toasted buttered sliced baguettes or crackers.