If you are looking for a quick, easy but yet delicious Cornbread recipe with a tender crumb and crisp edge, you’re in luck, you’ve found it! This recipe is perfect for your 4th of July BBQ, enjoyed best as a side with grilled chicken or ribs!
- 1¼ cup (210g) Yellow Cornmeal
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Buttermilk
- ⅓ cup (70g) Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup (113g) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (125 g) All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal and salt then leave it aside
- In a large measuring jug or a bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sugar, melted unsalted butter, and two eggs till well blended
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the cornmeal and gently blend the two together, do not over-mix. Cover and set the batter aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and butter an 8-inch (20cm) square baking pan
- Now in a small bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Add this to the soaked cornmeal mixture and using the cut and fold method, incorporate all the ingredients together till well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for about 5 minutes in the baking pan, then take it out and place it on a wire rack to cool for another 5-10 minutes before cutting into desired serving portions
- Enjoy with your favourite barbeque or just with honey and jam