These easy Shrimp Cakes, pan-seared golden-brown to perfection, are loaded with flavour! Also called Shrimp Cutlets and Shrimp Fritters, these cakes make a delicious appetizer.
For the Shrimp Cakes
- 500 grams Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 Garlic Cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Red Chilli, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Oil, for frying
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Garlic Clove, pressed or finely minced
- ½ tsp Mustard
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper, fresh cracked
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Shell, devein, and pat dry the shrimp. Cut them into small pieces and add them to a bowl. Season with salt.
- Add finely minced garlic and lemon juice to the bowl.
- Toss in the finely chopped red chili and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Next add the mozzarella cheese, egg, mayo, and cornstarch.
- Now add the finely chopped cilantro and give all the ingredients a mix till they get well blended. Cover and keep the mix aside for the shrimp to absorb all the flavours.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Using a medium size trigger release ice cream scoop, scoop out the mix from the bowl, and release it into the heated skillet. Press the scooped-out portion down a bit.
- Fry the shrimp cakes on both sides till they turn golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and enjoy with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of the sauce.
- For the sauce – In a bowl add the mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, finely minced garlic clove, mustard, freshly crushed black pepper, and sugar. Give it a good whisk for about 1-2 minutes till you get a homogeneous mixture and the sauce thickens a bit.