This quick and easy Teriyaki Chicken is sure to become your favourite weeknight dinner! With simple ingredients, this Teriyaki Chicken stir fry is delicious and a classic recipe you must try.
- 1½ lbs (680g) Chicken Thighs, skinless, boneless
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons (28g) Oil (1 for chicken + 1 for Sauce)
- 4 (16-20g) Garlic Cloves, finely diced
- 1 inch (7g) Ginger, finely diced
- 1 cup (265g) Soy Sauce, low-sodium
- ½ cup (100g) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30g) Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp (24g) Cornstarch
- 6 tbsp (90ml) Water
- 1 tbsp (14g) Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp (9g) Sesame Seeds
- 1 Shallot/Green Onion Stem, finely sliced
- Clean, wash, pat dry and cut the chicken into 1½-inch pieces.
- Season with a pinch of salt and give the chicken a quick mix.
- To a heated skillet, on medium heat, add some oil and fry the chicken pieces till they turn golden on each side. Once the chicken has turned golden on both sides, remove it from the skillet and place it on a plate. Do not overcrowd the skillet, fry the chicken in two batches.
- To the same skillet, add a little more oil and toss in the finely chopped garlic and ginger. Sauté till they lose their raw flavour.
- Now pour in the low sodium soy sauce, light brown sugar, and rice wine vinegar. Give it a quick stir and allow it to cook till the sugar melts.
- To thicken the sauce, in a medium size bowl, add the cornstarch and water. Give it a mix till well blended and you have a smooth slurry. Add the slurry to the skillet, whisking vigorously until the sauce thickens and turns shiny. This should take about a minute or two.
- Now lower the heat and add the sesame oil and sesame seeds. Give the sauce a quick mix so that the oil and the seeds get well distributed.
- Toss in the fried chicken and give it a mix till all the chicken pieces get well coated with the sauce.
- Serve with steaming hot rice, sautéed veggies, and garnish with green onion.