On a cold winter’s day, there is nothing better than a warm bowl of this easy Tomato Soup! This is the perfect one-pot Tomato Soup for a hearty everyday meal, especially when you are feeling under the weather. I like to enjoy it with a classic grilled cheese!
- 1 kg Tomatoes, red and ripe
- 1 Large (2 cups/200 grams) Sweet Onion, diced
- 6 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- ⅓ cup (75.6 grams) Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, freshly cracked
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 3½ cups Chicken/Vegetable Broth/Water
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Add butter and oil to a heavy bottom pot on medium heat.
- As soon as the butter has melted, toss in the onions and saute for around 3-4 minutes till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the garlic and continue sauteing for another 3-4 minutes until it loses its raw flavour.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, tomato ketchup, and sugar. Give all the ingredients a good mix before adding the chicken broth.
- Now leave the pot open and allow all the ingredients to simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and leave it to cool down before transferring it into a blender to puree it into a soup. You could also use an immersion blender to do this in the pot itself.
- Place the soup back into the pot and heat it up till it begins to simmer. Switch off the heat and pour in the cream and toss in the cheese. Give it a quick stir to blend it together to form a creamy soup.
- Serve in a soup bowl, pour over some fresh cream, sprinkle some parmesan cheese, and garnish with fresh basil.
- Enjoy this soup with a delicious grilled cheese sandwich or croutons.