This Okra and Potato vegetable recipe is quick, easy and bursting with flavour! Seasoning the okra with a classic Goan Jeerem Meerem spice mix, makes them super delicious. A vegetable recipe was highly requested and I’m so excited to share this one with you!
- 500 grams Okras
For the Jeerem Meerem Spice Mix
- 4 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 2 ½ tbsp Peppercorns
- 1 ½ tbsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tbsp Cloves
- 2” stick Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 10 Cardamoms
For the Potatoes
- 500 grams Potatoes
- 1 Large Onion
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- To a skillet on a medium heat, dry roast the spices. First add the Cumin Seeds to give it a head start when roasting. To that add the Peppercorns, Mustard Seeds, Cloves and Cinnamon Stick. When the spices are aromatic, get a little colour and the mustard seeds begin to pop, it is time to take them off the heat.
- Cool the spices a little and then grind them into a spice mix. Leave it aside while you prepare the Okras.
- Wash, pat dry and cut off the head of the okra. Now give them a slight slit lengthwise.
- Take half cup of the spice mix and add about half teaspoon of salt to it. Give it a quick whisk. Using a knife start stuffing the okra slits. Once you have finished stuffing all, leave them aside to marinate.
- Peel the potatoes, wash and dry them. Slice them into wedges.
- Place them in a pan and fill the pan with water just above the level of the potatoes. Add salt to taste. Give it a quick mix and allow the potatoes to parboil for about 10 minutes. When the potatoes look halfway cooked, it is time to take them out of the water and place them in a dish.
- In a heated frying pan, add some oil and shallow fry the potatoes till they turn crispy and golden on both sides. Take them out of the oil and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Now finely slice the onion and keep it aside.
- It’s time to bring the vegetable dish together. In a deep fry pan, add some oil and toss in the okras. Season with salt and sauté the okras till they are halfway cooked and begin to turn tender.
- Add the sliced onions and give it a gentle stir so that the onions get coated with the spice mix. Once the onions begin to get translucent, add the fried potatoes and give it a gentle mix.
- Finally, squeeze on the lime juice and give it a final stir.
- Take it off the heat and plate it.