It’s going to be love at first sight with these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting! A little magical chemistry makes these Red Velvet Cupcakes perfectly moist and fluffy. The Cream Cheese Frosting pairs amazingly to balance out the sweetness. These are a must-try recipe for Valentine’s Day and beyond!
Red Velvet Cupcakes Ingredients – Makes 12 cupcakes
- 85 grams Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 175 grams White Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg (room temperature)
- 6 grams Cocoa Powder (sifted)
- 1 tbsp Red Gel Food Colour
- ½ tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 200 grams All Purpose Flour (sifted)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Milk
- ¾ tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 85 grams Cream Cheese Block (room temperature)
- 60 grams Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 260 grams Icing Sugar (sifted)
For Red Velvet Cupcakes
- In a mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. Cream together with an electric mixer for about 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and mix on a slow speed to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add the red gel food colour to a small bowl, add a tablespoon of the milk to it and whisk it together. This will make it easier to combine with the rest of the wet ingredients,
- Combine the milk, red gel food colour and pure vanilla extract to form the wet ingredients.
- Using the electric mixer, gently alternate mixing the dry and wet ingredients to the bowl with the butter, sugar and egg till the batter is well combined.
- To make the cupcakes moist and give them the perfect rise, in a small bowl, add the apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Whisk them together, quickly add it to the batter and mix it in.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and scoop in the batter to fill the liners about half full. This will ensure the cupcakes bake with a relatively flat top.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool in the tray for 5 minutes. Then remove them from the cupcake tray and place them on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the softened cream cheese and mix it well with the butter.
- Toss in the pure vanilla extract and give it a quick mix.
- Slowly add in the icing sugar and on a low speed combine it to form the frosting.
- Chill the frosting for about an hour till it gets firm.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with a simple round piping tip and frost the cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate the cupcakes with sprinkles or chocolate treats.