To kick the year off, let’s make some Goan Chicken Xacuti, which is a delicacy made with roasted aromatic spices and coconut! You can enjoy this thick flavourful Chicken Xacuti with rice or bread and an onion & tomato salad. This is the ultimate comfort food and I’m sure you are going to love it!
Marinate For the Chicken
- 1 Kg Chicken (Approximately 1 chicken cut into small pieces)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 ½ Tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 ½ Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
For the Roasted Masala
- 16 Kashmiri Chillies (10 with seeds and 6 seedless)
- 1 ½ Cup Onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 12 Cloves
- 2-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Mace Flower
- 1 ½ Tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 ½ Cups Grated Coconut
- 1 Cup Water (To Grind)
To Cook The Chicken
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Cups Tomato (Finely Diced)
- 2 ½ Cups Water
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tsp Sugar
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger and garlic paste, turmeric powder, grated nutmeg, lemon juice, and salt to taste
2. Cover with a plastic wrap and leave aside to marinate, while we prepare the curry paste
3. To a heated skillet (on a medium flame) add the coriander seeds, Cloves, Black Peppercorns, Cinnamon Stick, Star anise, Mace Flower, Fennel seeds, Poppy Seeds, Kashmiri Chillies. Dry roast until the spices are fragrant and then empty onto a plate.
4. In the same skillet, add grated coconut and dry roast till it turns golden brown and then add it to the plate with the roasted spices
5. Now add onions to the same skillet and dry roast till they turn golden brown and add to plate with roasted coconut and spices.
6. Put the roasted spices, coconut, and onions into a mixer. Add one cup of water and grind it into a smooth curry paste. (I suggest grinding it in two batches)
7. Add oil to a heated skillet and to that add the finely chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent and golden brown. Next, add the finely diced tomatoes and continue sauteing till the tomatoes turn soft and the oil begins to separate from the onions and tomatoes.
8. Now add the marinated chicken and saute it with the onion and tomato. Add 1 cup of water, then cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
9. Next add the curry paste and two cups of water, giving it a good mix. Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
10. Finally, pour in the coconut milk, water, bay leaves, and sugar. Give it a gentle stir and allow it to cook covered for 5 more minutes.
11. When it reaches a gentle simmer, take it off the heat and enjoy.