It has never been this easy to make a succulent Roast Chicken! This juicy Roast Chicken, infused with lemon, garlic and herbs is perfect for Easter. But with a one-pan recipe like this, you can enjoy this Roast Chicken for any meal!
- 1.5 kg / 3 lb Whole Chicken
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Rosemary sprig
- 1 Thyme sprig
- 1 Tarragon sprig
- 1 Lemon, cut into halves
- 1 large Onion
- 1 head of Garlic
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 300 grams Carrots
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425F or 218C.
- Prep the chicken by removing the giblets from inside the chicken cavity. Wash and thoroughly dry the chicken using a paper towel.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish, breast side up. Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Prep and cut the herbs, lemon, garlic and onion. Into the cavity of the chicken, place the bunch of herbs, half the lemon, half the garlic head cut across, quarter of the onion and seal it off with the other half of the lemon.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine / thick thread. Season the skin of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl add the butter and 2 roughly chopped garlic pods. Place it in the microwave to melt the butter to infuse it with a garlic flavour. Brush the chicken with melted butter.
- Tuck the wings under the body of the chicken to prevent them from burning while the chicken roasts in the oven.
- Toss in the cut carrots and the remaining onion cut into quarters and separated. Season the vegetables with salt and drizzle over a dash of olive oil.
- Roast the chicken, uncovered, for 70-80 minutes, or until the internal temperature at the thickest portion of the chicken reaches 165F or 74C.
- If the chicken begins to brown too much, tent the breast with foil and allow it to continue cooking in the oven.
- emove the chicken from the oven and baste it with the juices. Garnish with finely chopped parsley. Allow the chicken to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.